Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Radiation...

Tomorrow I will start the first of 35 radiation treatments. I met with Dr. Wilcox last Thursday and she thoroughly explained the process. I really think this will be a breeze- not a lot of side effects like the chemo. She said for me to expect a little tiredness and some skin irritation from the targeted areas. After I met with her, she did a scan of my upper body and decided what fields were going to be radiated. Then, get this...they took "Sharpie markers" (blue and black) and marked all over my body! I even asked if they were using surgical markers, but no- just Sharpie's from their desk drawers! I came out of there looking like Mallory Kate had used my body as her canvas for coloring! They then covered a lot of the marks with clear, circle stickers to prevent fading of the lines. These marks will stay on me for the 7 weeks. (And yes, Sharpie markers do rub off on your clothes if you were wondering!) Dr. Wilcox said that the radiation itself will take 1-2 minutes! It will take me longer to check in, get undressed, and dressed than the treatment itself. Amazing! Since I am going back to work in 1 1/2 weeks, I will have a late appointment each day- so I can go after school. I will be done by Spring Break- what a great time to celebrate!

On Monday, I met with Dr, Gococo for a follow up. I think it finally sunk in that I am done with chemo. That would have been the day that I needed another treatment, but thank God I made it through all 6 treatments! I feel better and better each day. Dr. Gococo did some lab work and things looked pretty good. My tumor markers from my last visit were high, but he seems to think it went to a different lab that uses a different scale or it was a fluke. He said he is keeping a very close eye on me and is not concerned at this point. He also felt a swollen lymph node under my right arm, but he said it wasn't hard which is a good thing. The doctors will continue to monitor every bump, pain, and ache that I feel to make sure I still have a clean bill of health. I will see Dr. Gococo again in 7 weeks, after radiation is completed. So, I am ready to get this ball rolling and to be done, just in time for the warm weather! :) Thanks for the continued prayers! XOXOXO

7 comments:

KateElizabeth said...

Hi Lori! My name is Kate Kruse (I am Kristen McDonalds sister). I just wanted you to know that we are thinking of you. We will continue to pray for you and your family. Hopefully, the next 7 weeks will go quickly for you. Best of luck to you on your first day back. I'm sure your students will be PUMPED to have you there. Take care!

The Kruse Family

Anonymous said...

Awesome Lori!! It is so great to be getting closer to recovery! I hope we can all have a girls lunch or dinner soon and wishing you a fabulous first day back at school!:)
Lindsey H

Howard Family said...

Lori-
What a relief to be done with chemo! I bet you are glad to be going back to school and getting back into your normal routine.
-Silvia

David Parker said...

I love the timing on all of this- spring is just around the corner and you will be all finished with the radiation. Yahooooo!! Good luck with the treatments and keep us posted!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori! Just checking your blog to make sure you're doing fine. It is GREAT to see that you are getting back to "normal"!!! I am so excited for you! I have a bit of peach fuzz but it's not blonde anymore so guess I'll get it colored as soon as I can or I'll keep the wig on until I can!!! Glad you're doing so well and have a great time going back to work!!! I'm sure your class and school will be so happy to see you! Shine on!
Sally Dunn (chemo room, one of Cassie's other patients)

Kelly said...

So glad the rough stuff is behind you.

Your positive outlook has been inspiring.

Kelly

Hammond Family said...

Hey Lori,

Jennifer told me of your blog and for the past few nights I have gone back and read most all your posts. You have done a great job of journaling your experience. How neat to be able to go back and read how the Lord sent you specific good news just when you needed to hear it.

Praying for you and your beautiful family.

Kelly Hammond