Sunday, March 1, 2009

Thankfulness...

Sitting in the radiation waiting room last week, I had a conversation with a lady that really hit home. This lady was battling breast cancer and almost finished with her radiation treatments. We got to talking about our journeys and how the Lord has walked us though this step by step. She then made a comment that she thanks the Lord daily for giving her this cancer. Boy, those are strong words, and I kept thinking about those words all day. I had never said those words and I wasn't even sure I ever would. I firmly believe that God has the perfect plan and He has reasons for why He does certain things, although we may not understand them. I have seen God's work done though my cancer journey and many good things have come out of it...but I never actually "thanked" God for the cancer. The more I thought about this, the more I got to thinking how thankful I am that it is not my child affected by this cancer, or my husband, or my siblings, or my mom or (step)Dad. I am thankful that I have such a caring support group that has helped us tremendously in the last several months. I am thankful for the awesome doctors and nurses that have taken care of me. I am thankful for all of the prayers for myself and my family. We have so much to be thankful for! I pray daily for complete healing in my body, which God can do; but now I will add another prayer- I will thank God for this cancer.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow...beautiful! I am so glad you have such an amazing perspective and can be so thankful. Thanks for sharing this.

I,too, never thought that I would thank God for giving us a child with special needs but I do. I am thankful that we get to be her parents. My life has changed because I am AnnaKate's mom and I thank God for trusting us with her.

Kelly

Keri Lewis said...

What an awesome testimony. I got chills reading it!

Anonymous said...

When I read that, I was reminded of a verse I read just the other day that prompted me to thank God for what we're going through...I mean, really thank him for the actual suffering. It's 1 Peter 5:12--"Dear friends, don't be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange is happening to you. Instead, be very glad-for these trials make you partners with Christ in his suffering, so that you will have the wonderful joy seeing his glory when it is revealed to all the world." This has been on my heart a ton lately, so I'm so glad you wrote about it in your blog. It's a challenge for all of us, but our sufferings bring us closer to the One who saves us. I love you! Chap

Unknown said...

Lori, I love your blog. You are truly and inspiration!!!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing! I cant wait to see you soon! Love you, Liza