Tuesday, December 16, 2008

4 down, 2 to go!

Yesterday was round #4, and I wish I was done! I have 2 more to go, both in January. All went well yesterday, with the exception of my veins not cooperating for the IV. After 1 needle stick for labs, and 3 from the nurses, they were finally able to get the IV going! Yeah...by the way, it wasn't them, it was me and my little veins- rolling nd tumbling around in there. I just pray my veins will cooperate 2 more times and I won't have to get a port. It was a long day yesterday...we got there at 8:15 and left at 2:30ish. I was exhausted! I was thinking I would be able to take Graham to his Cub Scouts Christmas Party, but I was not able to. A big Kudos goes out to my friend Shella who helps out with Graham tremendously during my chemo weeks. I love ya girl! It seems the more rounds I have, the quicker they hit me and the longer they last! Not so fun, but I can make it through! (Of course with the prayer and support from all of you! I'm counting on you all! :)

Good news...the genetic counselor called me yesterday with my BRCA1 and BRCA 2 results. My BRCA 1 gene was normal, but my BRCA 2 gene showed a "variant". This was explained by this- this same thing has been found in 78 other cases and can't yet be classified as "normal", although they suspect that it is not disease bearing and there is no mutation there. Down the road, I could get a letter from the testing center that gives me more detail saying that it is "normal" or that they have found other evidence of something. But for now, I feel peace about it! They also ran a 2nd test looking for additions and deletions of pieces in the DNA of those genes. They came out normal as well. So, the geneticist said she felt like this was "good news". Yeah- we needed that! That helps me with other decisions such as this- for right now we have decided to post-pone the bi-lateral mastectomy. I met with the plastic surgeon and our time lines weren't working out with summer and all and I left with an uneasy feeling about it all. This confirms my decision hold off for right now, and maybe revisit that option down the road if needed.

As for my lymphodema, it has it's good and bad days. My hands gets puffy like a marshmallow and then goes back down- not quite back tot normal yet. I am wearing a compression sleeve and hand glove- both highly unattractive garments! I can't tell you how many times shopping last week I have had to answer the question, "What is wrong with your hand?" By the end of the day, I just said it's hurt. (Which it is- from the lack of lymph nodes in that arm!) Anyways, I am going to Physical Therapy 2-3 times a week and that has worked very well. I ordered my "lymphediva" sleeve and glove that should be here on Friday- very stylish I might add! I'll take a picture and show you how trendy it is!

For fun things...Mallory Kate turned 2 this weekend and we had a great family birthday party here at the house. Most of you who know her, know her obsession with "fancy shoes"- so that was the theme! Her cake was adorable and she thoroughly enjoyed eating it! Enjoy the pictures! It is hard to believe that she is 2 and is a big girl! She is potty training and doing so well with it! She stays dry most days, but we're still working at it. She now sleeps in a "big girl" bed, too! Where has the last 2 years gone? We had her well check this morning- and NO SHOTS...yeah! She is in the 30%-ile in both height and weight. Her height to weight comparison was in the 55%-ile. She is doing very well developmentally- above average the doctor said. She is talking in sentences and can identify colors, shapes, and all of the body parts- even the hard ones like ankles and elbows! What a precious gift from God- both of our children!


The next few days will probably be a little rough, but please lift me and my family up in prayer. It is hard for Greg to get the kids up and out of here in the mornings and fed, bathed, and in the bed at night. I try to help out as much as I can, but some days are worse than others. I pray for an "easier round" like my 2nd cycle! Thanks for everything and I love you all!!!!!- Lori

8 comments:

Holly said...

Congratulations on making it two thirds of the way through Chemo. I'm thinking about you and praying for a fast finish and easy recovery for you

Kelly said...

Cute winter banner!! :)

Thanks for the update. I pray this week is easier than the one after the last round.

The birthday party looked perfect! What a cute cake.

Kelly

Anonymous said...

LORI, FOUND YOUR BLOG & I'M FINALLY GETTING A CHANCE TO TYPE A FEW WORDS. JUST WANTED TO SAY I'M SO PROUD OF YOU! YOU'VE BEEN SO BRAVE & STRONG. IF THERE IS ANYTHING ANDY OR I CAN DO, PLEASE LET US KNOW. YOU ARE IN OUR THOUGHTS & PRAYERS. MAIL ME SOMETIME.
RONDA.AMBROSE@FHNGA.COM
LOVE YA,
RONDA

David Parker said...

Happy Birthday Mallory Kate. You are just too precious for words. I loved the shoe theme!!! Too cute!

Anonymous said...

Hello, Lori: You are such an inspiration. I've followed your blog since day one,and you, Greg, Graham and Mallory Kate are in our thoughts and prayers multiple times a day.Next week I'm bringing over a spaghetti supper.Love to you all. Diane Smith and family

Anonymous said...

Lori,
This is the first time I have been to your blog. I have been thinking about you and your family and this provides me a good way of getting an update. I really enjoyed the party your family had for you. It was great. Enjoy your holiday. We will be thinking about you and your family while keeping you in our prayers. I will be looking forward to you next update. Paul G.

Anonymous said...

Hey, so sorry...just saw this....I have been praying for you/yall though and will continue to. Hope Christmas was fabulous!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweety,

So happy your doing good and ready to go back to work.

I remember the radiation treatments, I would drop your Dad off make a block and pick him back up. But it was worth it, I will keep you in my prayers.

Love
Becky