Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thoughts and feelings...

Well, new week...new me! I feel great- back to life as I know it (without work, of course.) And that's weird. You know being home in the summers are different than now. In the summer, I have the kids home and we are going to the pool each day and playing around the yard, etc. Being home now is different...both kids gone and a quiet house. On my "feel good" days, I can get a lot accomplished! Although sometimes I should be doing more household chores than I do! Today I have spent most of my morning on the phone with my insurance company! Boy...that sure is draining work! So I thought I had pretty good insurance- Cigna an HMO plan. But they sure are stingy with their money, I am coming to find out. Right now they have denied $13,000 in claims for one thing or another! I have 2 claims in appeal and one claim the doctor has to call to do a peer-to-peer review with the medical director of Cigna! I have found out that I have to "study" the Explanation of Benefits that comes in the mail- and I get about 2 or more each day it seems! I should get graduate credit for all the work and I time I put into this! Then I call the member services number- which I have now memorized- and push all the options until I finally reach a human voice. (I learned a trick- just act like you don't have a touchtone phone and keep saying "associate" and eventually, they'll put you through!) Then, most days I call, it seems like I know more about my plan than the representative on the other end! That is so frustrating sometimes, actually all the time! So, since I'm on a venting spree, let me tell you how much I hate wigs! You would think they would simplify your life, no...trust me, they don't! They are uncomfortable, itchy, hot, and I can't stand it. When the wind blows, I have pieces of hair standing every which way, and it doesn't feel like my hair! I am constantly fidgeting with it- getting stray stands out of my face and trying to flatten it more on my head. I have already gone back to the wig store for them to thin it out some. So I have come to the conclusion, the bandanna "Harley Davidson" look is more suitable for me! I have been wearing my wig out in public so I don't get the strange stares, but I think I'm over that now. So, now I may get some strange stares, but my head will feel good. I have even gotten a collection of different scarves and bandannas in a lot of different colors and styles- thanks to friends! Speaking of friends, I want to tell you about a special gift my school did for me. They made a handmade quilt with all of their hand prints for me to take to my chemo treatments! It is absolutely beautiful! You know when you get chemo, you get chilly. I have been using the white blankets- that they provide- to cover up with. Now I can come "armed" with a beautiful quilt that means so much to me! I will have the support of all of my friends from school right in my lap! How special is that? I've attached a picture so you can see it! I think I've probably written too much today, sorry. Sometimes it's just great therapy to get my feelings out on the keyboard, rather than to Greg! Thanks for visiting my blog! :)

I LOVE it! :)

9 comments:

justlovinmesomestowes said...

beautiful quilts - you're so fortunate to have such an extraordinary support group of awesome friends, family, etc., & just thank goodness you have insurance to get frustrated by! glad to hear you're stepping out sans 'weave' heeheehee!!! way to go & way to be strong, proud & brave. love to all ~ :o)

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Your strength is amazing. Please know my family and I are praying for you. You are an inspiration to us all. Remember that God is there with you every step of the way.

Psalms 30:2 NKJV O LORD my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me

but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:31 NIV

Kelly said...

It was so good to see you today! You look great...wig and all!

I really appreciate you blogging. It is good to hear how you are feeling emotionally and physically.
Kelly

David Parker said...

I love the quilt. Aren't kids wonderful!! It is so great to see how much they truly care and love you- what a treasure!!

Melody said...

You looked WONDERFUL today. How INSPIRING you are to everyone! Thanks for sharing the journey. It gives strength to those of us who think life is difficult from time to time. You encourage me to put onmy "big girl panties" and deal with what comes at me!

Anonymous said...

What I have learned...and you have FINALLY caught on to...is that venting to the keyboard is always better than venting to your hubby! (just teasing)

Seriously though, I'm SO happy to know you are doing SO well! God is SO good, isn't he?

We miss you terribly at school...I think I'll come join you one day...this time you won't be having a baby!!! Hahahaha! (Remember?)

Take Care...Love you loads!
Tracy

Julie said...

Hey Lori,
What a beautiful quilt! What a great idea from your school & how sweet & personalized! I'm sure it will keep you much warmer during treatment than the paper thin blankets in the chemo area.
Love ya, Julie

Anonymous said...

Oh Lori....I have been down that road with insurance off and on with both kids....especially all of Lucas' feeding stuff. I totaly agreee with everything-getting a graduate degree and that you know more than the employees that answer your call! I spent 40 hours on the phone one week trying to get something covered. Pray while you wait b/c when I waited someone else answered my reps phone and after hearing my story she said no matter what she was going to find a way to get some insurance help for us and she did and that has carried over through a formula change but that one woman saved us over $10,000!! She works at BC butI'll pray her twin answers that line for you at Cigna!! I have always referred to her as our gaurdian angel. I have often wondered if I called BC looking for Anna if there'd be no one there by that name b/c God placed her there that day for that phone call. Remember He looks after our every need with the Anna's of the world. Let me know if you want me to help with any calls I've gotten pretty good at getting results!

Anonymous said...

The quilt is beautiful! You are such a faithfull lady. God is really blessing you thru all of this. God does answer prayers. We are praying for you and your family. Stay Strong!!!
Melissa