Tuesday, November 4, 2008

"Catch up"...

This posting will include a little bit of things that we've done since Halloween up to my 2nd round of chemo. I guess I'll start there. Yes- I am 33.3% finished with my chemotherapy! I have 4 more rounds to go. Yesterday my mother went with me. First I had lab work done- which indicated that my potassium levels were low- so I will be eating some bananas to help with that! All other blood work was fine. I then met with Dr. Gococo. As I've said before, I adore him and his nurse Cassie. I feel that I am getting the best care with them! He said for the most part to expect the same thing from my last round, although each time I will be a little slower to recover. My brother had asked me a good question, that I hadn't thought of before...when it's all said and done, how does the doctor know the cancer is all gone? So, I asked Dr. Go that. He said that treating me with 6 rounds of "TAC" chemotherapy and then radiation, and then the Tamoxifen, that it should all be gone. He said that scans cannot detect little cancer cells, so scans really don't do any good so soon after treatment. He said I will be watched very closely, every 3 months for a while, then every 6 months, which he will be looking for any symptoms, etc. At any point in time he said, he could order some scans if we suspect or feel funny about something. After meeting with him, we went over for chemotherapy. I took a picture of my chemo nurse all dressed up in her "scary" clothes while she pushes the "Red Devil" as the Adrimyican is called, through my IV. She doesn't have to wear that for any of the other two chemos. Through the IV, I was given Benedryl, Decadron (a steroid), saline fluids, the 3 chemos, and 2 anti-nausea meds. A total of 8 bags! No wonder about all of the fluid weight I gain in 24 hours! I gained another 4 pounds in one day again! But by Thursday, the extra fluid weight should be gone. Having a computer and someone to talk to sure does pass the time- we were there in the office from 8:30- after 2:30- 6 hours. Long day, but not so bad. Last night I was very tired- and forgot to take a med to help me sleep. I woke up at 12:30 and realized I was wide awake- I went downstairs to find that medicine, along with all of the bottles lined up on the counter, and took it right away. The steroid I'm on has that insomnia effect. So, about an hour later, I think I drifted back off. This morning I went back for my Neulasta shot and flu shot- which everyone in my family has to have. Graham got his yesterday- and was not happy about that one! Mallory Kate is getting hers on Friday and Greg sometime in the next few weeks. I did go out to vote before my appointment, and the lines weren't really too bad- about 30 or so minutes. I am beginning to feel the same chest pressure I felt last time and the nasty copper penny taste is back, too! But now I can say, 2 down and 4 to go! Yeah! Here is a pic of my nurse and me getting the "Red Devil."


Halloween...
Boy, did the kids have a blast! We went to my cousin's neighborhood and trick-or-treated with them. They ran from house to house with so much excitement! Graham was dressed up as Harry Potter and Mallory Kate was Tinkerbell. She now knows what candy is all about! She even asks for "Chocolate Candy" first thing in the morning- that girl knows what tastes good! Claire was a snow princess and Riley was a pirate. Enjoy these pics- and this was the first picture taken of me with my wig- which I can officially say I HATE! It is itchy, hot, uncomfortable, and I am now opting for the Harley Girl look on most days!


Helen, Georgia...
Greg and I went down to Helen Georgia with Tamara and Mark, to surprise Pete. As many of you know, Pete just got back from Iraq and Tracy, his wife, had planned this trip. We went up on Saturday and came back on Sunday. We had a great time eating, walking around, relaxing, etc! We had a blast! (Take a look at Tamara trying on my wig- for all I care, she can HAVE IT! She looks much better in it that I do! Haha! :)


Tamara with my wig on! Looks great on her! :)

Graham at Camp Old Indian...

My dad took Graham to Camp Old Indian with his cub scout troop. Since Greg and I had already had the Helen trip planned, my dad so graciously agreed to take him. Graham had a ball- enjoying bee-bee guns (which he hit the target all 3 times), flash-light tag, campfires, etc. Thanks Dad for taking him- that will be a memory to last him for a lifetime! He really enjoys the cub scouts. (And you ask what about Mallory Kate? She stayed with my mom and had a great time eating homemade mac-n-cheese, one of her favorites, and playing outside with Nana. Thanks Mom for keeping her! Oh, and she is potty training- we're on week #2 and she is doing fabulous! Hopefully by Christmas we can say bye-bye to diapers!)



Thank you so much for all the prayers, card, e-mails, phone calls, etc. That means so much to us! I couldn't get through this terrible disease without prayer and support from all of you! I love you all!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori - You look GREAT!!!! I am glad you have 2 under your belt. Keep up the amazing attitude. You are an inspiration to all!! The kids look adorable.
Love,
Christy and Wes

Kelly said...

Thanks so much for the update! It sounds like you are doing a great job of balancing it all. BTW....MK was a precious Tinkerbell.
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Lori,you are amazing!!!!! I was tired just hearing all the things you have been up to. Glad you have 2 behind you now. The kids are absolutely adorable! Keep up the attitude and keep smiling. You are in our prayers!!!!!
Jean

David Parker said...

Oh my gosh! You look so great. I absolutely love the new hair!!!! The kids looked just precious in their Halloween costumes. That shot of Mallory Kate is too cute! What great pictures!!

Anonymous said...

You are such a freaking rock-star!!! You have managed to stay busier than most AND while kicking some cancer booty!! I am soooo amazed by you everytime I read your blog. I love you so much girl! You just hang in there, you are doing great!

Love, RBL

Julie said...

Lori,
Fantastic job on your post! I loved reading about the whole family & your recent trip to GA. You look great in all of your pics. What an amzaing person you are - keeping such a great attitude through this whole thing, looking beautiful, & inspiring so many people w/ your faith in the Lord. Keep it up!
Love, Julie

Anonymous said...

Hey-wow yall are busy!!! You look great! I think you look just like you not like you have a wig on. I know God is hearing our prayers by keeping you so spunky during most of this! Beth

Howard Family said...

Lori-
I haven't seen you with your new "do" yet....It looks fabulous! No more "Sugar Shack" look...which I thought looked great too. Anyway, I'm sure I will be talking to ya soon.
-Silvia