Thursday, October 30, 2008

The deed is done...

Well...it's officially done! My head is bald and white. My hair started coming out more yesterday, and I was really disgusted by it. So, I called my friend Julie to ask if her husband would come over and shave my head. (He shaves his own head and is an expert with the blade.) He very willingly accepted, so we made a night out of it. We ate dinner, carved pumpkins with the kids, and then headed to the bathroom for the final farewell to the mane. I was glad to have Julie and Brad there for support as well! They are both good encouragers and great friends! Greg started off by taking our scissors and cutting it down. Now that was a sight- it looked like I had gotten attacked by a 3 year old with crayola scissors! Then Greg took his clippers and buzzed it down- like Shanade O'Connor. (Not an attractive look on me!) Brad then took over, "Barber Brad" as I referred to him- and lathered my head up and went to it! It's gone- all of it- and I feel okay. No, it's not something I would ever voluntarily do again, but this comes with the territory of kicking breast cancer's butt! I was nervous about having some strange birth mark or knots on my head, but I didn't thank goodness! However, you can see where my part was- it's the only thing with "color" on my bald head. It's actually kinda funny seeing a little tan stripe running down the top of my head! So how did the kids react? Well, Graham came in the bathroom in the middle of it all and was totally shocked and I could tell it bothered him. I shed a few tears because I didn't want to scare him. During his prayers last night he said, "Lord, please help my mom's hair grow back really fast!" So hopefully he'll get adjusted to it and I do hope God answers Graham's prayer! :) As for Mallory Kate, she was already in the bed last night so I put a pink bandanna on this morning. When she saw me come downstairs she said, "Mommy's pink hat." She's not even 2 years old yet, so of course I can't really explain all of this to her like I can to Graham. All of this will soon be a distant memory! Showering was very different this morning- do I use shampoo or body wash on my head? I went for the shampoo this morning and boy did that feel weird! I never really knew how cold bald people must feel. Even in the shower, I got chilly from my head. I've always heard that you lose most of your body heat through your head, but now I can attest that yes, that is true! I needed to run a few errands this morning, so I put on my wig for the first time. I am definitely not used to that either. I'm not a big fan of it so far...I think I will opt for the Harley Davidson Do-rag look most days, especially around the house! I am not that brave to post a picture of my bald head yet- maybe I can soon. Please help me pray that I will not lose my eyelashes and eyebrows. I know that sounds silly to ask of you to do, but some people do keep theirs- and I hope I do! :) Here are some pics of us carving pumpkins...

Brad, Cooper, and Julie

13 comments:

Julie said...

Lori,
I love the way you add laughter in to your posts. Reading your blog today defnitely brought a smile to my face. As I've already told you, I'm glad that we were able to be there for you and help you get through the "deed." You did great & you look fabulous! Just remember, God continues to be so much bigger than what you're going through & with His divine help & love, He will see you through this with your family, friends, work, church & even strangers by your side & in prayer.
You're beautiful!
Love, Julie

Amanda said...

You are so brave! I love that you can laugh and cry at the same time! You have such a great outlook- as we have ALL said- and this is just one more step down to the final butt-kicking of cancer! Love you!
Amanda

justlovinmesomestowes said...

everything others have shared in their comments and...love the pumpkins...which started me thinking, I think you may know wherethis is going...with just a little orange & black paint you now could be your own pumpkin! it could be a family project, just without the carving and the messy insides!!! as always, love you bunches but, I do want a pic...before the orange paint of course! heeheehee ~ :o)

Anonymous said...

Hey Lori,
I'm so glad Julie and Brad were there with you for support. I'm sure you are glad it's done though...I'm sure it's just as stressful to see your hair coming out a little each day. You are so brave to just Git R Done!! Can't wait to see your new scarf style. MK seems to love it already!! I'll call you soon. Always praying!!
Love ya,
Bridget

Kelly said...

I am glad you made a fun night out of something not so fun. I will say big "hair" prayers for you!

Love
Kelly

Marilyn said...

Lori,

I am amazed at your attitude and strength. You are a beacon of light to others during this difficult time. I know that God has an angel crew supporting you and your family. My prayers are with you all.
Love,
Marilyn

McDonald 5 said...

Lori,

You have no idea how strong you really are and how through your daily posts you help people in ways you will never know. You are an inspiration! Keep up your positive attitude and always be yourself! I miss and love you and wish I could be there for you. I am so thankful you have so many wonderful friends and family who are there on a daily basis for you. Give the kids hugs for me and tell them Happy Halloween! Please tell Greg I paid $2.16 for gas this morning! :)-YEA!! I love you girl!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I am so glad you just did it and don't have to keep nervously waiting and watching!! Glad you discovered a beautiful head with a stripe :) and I'll pray those lashes and brows stick around. You make me laugh so much...ever thought about writing?? You'd be great! You could launch a new career during this! Love, Beth

Paige O'Shields said...

Hey Lori.
I am so proud of you for doing the deed. I know how tough it is to loose your hair, but I can promise you by this time next year the hardest part will be over and you will have a new hair do. Your brain has a way of blocking out bad memories. And let me tell you you will love your new short haircut next year. Keep your positive attitude and continue to laugh at your self. and by gosh keep your head covered so you don't freeze. :) You continue to be in our prayers.
Love, Paige

Anonymous said...

OMG! Peter and I just read this and DIED laughing!!!! Tears are rolling down my face right now...Too funny! Okay...I know it's not really funny...but you made it sound like a comedy. I'm glad that your spirits are high and don't worry..I'm praying for ya! WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You should seriously start a book called the Big C diaries. You sure have the humor for it. I can feel my facial expressions when I read your blog. One second, I'm going, "Oh God,that's awful!" and the next I'm cracking up looking like a goof:)
Anyhoo, I'm glad you did the big deed/now Greg is obligated to get you some Burberry scarves!
Love the pumpkins by the way (my favorite Holiday p.s./Mallory is soo adorable!)
Keep strong,
Lindsey

Anonymous said...

I am soooo proud of you Lori! You are handling this with such humor and grace... I am astonished everytime I read one of ur blogs. Keep it up, you are gonna kick this things @$$!! I love you!

Your sis,
RBL

Anonymous said...

Lori,
I've just read your blog and I am so glad to hear how you are doing. I have been thinking about you and praying for you and your sweet family. I know God will continue to bless you with His amazing strength and love.
Jo Anne Sides