Friday, October 24, 2008

Like it or not...

So I did it...cut off about 9 inches. I have to say, I did shed a few tears. I sat down in the chair, and my hairdresser asked if I had a style in mind. That's when I bust into tears and told her it really didn't matter what she did because I wouldn't have the "new do" but for a few days. I can't believe I cried over this, especially in front of this sweet little old lady also getting her hair done. The little lady even tried to make me feel better by showing me the "lack of hair" on top of her head. You know, your hair makes you who you are, and it is hard to come to terms of not having any. I feel like I am losing a part of me- my femininity. I have never had really short hair, and ironically, I had been growing my hair out for some time now. So, the longest part of my hair now is 3 inches on top. And it is super short- and in my opinion, very boyish looking. I hate it...matter of fact, I called Greg on the way home from getting it cut and told him I wanted him to shave it off for me. And from what the doctor told me, I will be losing it probably at the beginning of the week. Now, for the not so fun part of all of this...when people lose their hair from chemo it doesn't just gradually thin out. It comes out in clumps and patches! So, Greg will have the "honor" of shaving my head when this happens. All of this is really hard for me- the whole losing your hair thing. So I have tried to think about the positive things about not having hair: less time getting ready, not having to blow dry my hair, saving money on shampoo and conditioner (which Greg always complains about), not having anymore "bad hair days", and getting to wear funky, cute scarves that I've never worn before! See...that makes me feel better already! PS- if anyone knows where to find some funky, cute scarves, please let me know! Here is a picture (after all the tears) of my hairdresser and me...I warned you, not very cute! (And yes, she has purple in her hair!) :)

14 comments:

Amanda said...

I think it looks great, Lori! It is a different style for a while, try to have fun with it- dye it pink or something, haha! We love you and miss seeing your beautiful face!

Brooke said...

I think it looks good! You can pull off the short do!

Anonymous said...

Lori -

With that smile, you can wear any hairstyle.

Jennifer Smith

Kelly said...

What fun...I like it!

I understand the tears and hope that this part of the process is just a memory in the not so distant future!

Kelly

McDonald 5 said...

I like it! Hair does not make the person - so you have nothing to worry about. You are beautiful inside and out!! Miss and love you!

Anonymous said...

Okay...I can definitely understand how sad and upset you are about your hair. We would all feel the same way if it were us. However, the one thing I've always told you is that you would look super even if wearing a paper sack! You are beautiful both inside and out and don't EVER forget that. Love you my friend!!!!

TW

Anonymous said...

You look great Lori. It is not what is on the outside that counts. You are a great person and your beauty will shine through every day.

Anonymous said...

I love your hair-I think it looks terrific on you!!! If if makes you feel better, you can borrow some of my hair!!! You are beautiful with or without hair! Hope we can have dinner soon!

Nicole said...

Lori reading your blog as been such an inspiration! You are such a strong woman and not a day goes by that you are not in my prayers. I love your new hair style!
Nicole McGaha

Anonymous said...

I love it, but understand your tears. I'd love to see it in person. It looks great though. I debate short hair all the time but haven't done it yet. You've got time now to experiment with colors and styles with wigs and you may end up picking a whole new look you want for you new hair. We will definately have a party when you start to get your hair back!!! Remember like your friend's care page said you'd gladly trade your hair to be cancer free so as you watch your hair disappear remember it's the outward sign that inside cancer is disappearing-and that's worth celebrating!!! Love, Beth

Kim said...

You look great and will continue to look great. You're a beautiful peson. I love keeping up with you through this blog. Always know many are praying for you.

Julie said...

Hey Lori,
I don't care what you say, I think you look beautiful! I think your picture of your new do on your blog looks a fashion model haircut ;) You look great!
Love ya, Julie

Anonymous said...

I think it looks cute Lori! You can wear any style with your face! I love short hair on women, it's very Sharon Stone-like!:)
Keep those blogs coming!
-Lindsey

Anonymous said...

I think you look gorgeous my dear sister!!! It makes those baby blues just shine and pop. As for no hair mine's falling out anyway, so if you want someone to be bald with you, I'll gladly shave mine off with ya... But let's go hot pink first! LOL

RBL