Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The dreaded time has come...

Yes- it's here. The day has come when my hair has started to fall out. I noticed my head "hurting", more like tenderness, yesterday. This morning, after my shower, I was drying my hair- with my fingers because it's so short- and I looked at the palms of my hands...and it was confirmed...the chemo was working. You know, I'm not sure if I mentioned this in an earlier post or not, but the reason for hair falling out during some chemos (not all chemotherapy makes people lose their hair- but mine does) is that the chemos "attack" the most rapidly dividing cells in your body. Cancer cells and hair follicle cells are the most rapidly dividing cells...meaning the loss of hair. So, yes, it really stinks to lose my hair, but on the other hand I know that the chemo drugs are doing their thing! Well...I knew this day was coming, I just didn't know when. I had to drop off some paperwork this morning at my surgeon's office and I was talking to the nurse there. She said by the end of the weekend, I probably wouldn't have any hair left. So...it's a good thing I wasn't too terribly crazy about my new short-do (although many people have said they loved it...and I'm not so sure if they were just saying that to make me feel better or if they really did like it! Haha!) You know the funny thing is, I have just gotten used to passing by a mirror and knowing that the image looking back was me and not a man! Funny how these things work out. Anyways, I'll post a closer up picture of my short hair do, although it will soon be gone!

And here are some more pictures to enjoy...our trip to the Pumpkin Patch! We had a blast and Mallory Kate especially loved the "Baby Pumpkins!" (as she called them!) :)





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori -

Like I've stated before, you have a beautiful smile (your teeth are so white :-) and your eyes sparkle, so you will have no problem with no hair. Actually, your best features will be even more accented. I hope that you will show a picture of yourself with no hair, because I think you are are going to look better than all those superstars who have tried it (Demi Moore, Brittany Spears, Natalie Portman).
Thinking and praying for you,
Jennifer Smith

Kelly said...

I like the close up pic...you look so spunky with short hair!!
You have been and continue to be so positive.
Kelly

Amanda said...

Well, the pic is definitely full of sass! I do like the do, it's just different for you! I am so proud of you- you are so brave!
Love,
Amanda

Julie said...

Lori,

I love the close-up picture of you. Your eyes just really pop & you look so beautiful! Stay strong. We're all proud of you for your strength in this journey.
Love ya, Julie Nix

Anonymous said...

Lori,

I think you look beautiful with short hair! I really admire your attitude and your positive spirit. My mother's doctor told her that attitude was 99 percent of the battle! Anna told me you ate lunch with Graham the other day and had a hug for everyone in your (Anna's)class. You are so special! Hang in there, and know that we are praying for you everyday! Karen Haltiwanger

Anonymous said...

You really do look beautiful with short hair... I would tell you if you looked like crap. :P

RBL

Anonymous said...

Lori,

I have been reading your blog for a while now and have had you and your love one's in my prays for even longer. You are a beautiful and strong woman. I am proud of the way you have faced this. I have to tell you that it reminds of someone that I loved and lost to cancer. I know he too would be proud of you. I love you and think of you often, and you are in my prays.

Becky