Tuesday, November 25, 2008

50% done with Chemo! Yeah!!!

I just finished my half-way point in my chemo treatments yesterday! I have 3 left and will be done with those in the end of January. The doctors will give me a 3 week or so rest and healing time, then go for about 7 weeks of daily radiation. We've done a lot of thinking lately, and have decided to go ahead with a bi-lateral (double) mastectomy with reconstruction after the radiation treatments. I meet with the plastic surgeon on December 1st about that process. I know my surgeon Dr. Rippon and the plastic surgeon will "tag team" during the surgery. It is a lengthy process to get from point A to point B, but I'll find out all of the specifics on December 1st. We really did a lot of thinking over this one, but I have come to the conclusion I will do anything it takes to fight this fight over breast cancer- and if taking my breasts off will help any, then that's what we'll do! We'll also be having a hysterectomy done in the future, but hopefully next year sometime. Too much surgery is too hard to recover from quickly. My oncologist will be putting me in "menopause" with an injection later on after treatment. I still haven't heard my results from the genetic testing. I hopefully will hear sometime in the next 2 weeks. So that's the plan for now! (Oh, and I feel okay today- I just was very tired last night and my stomach was feeling a little funky! So I took one of the many meds lined up on the counter, and drifted right off to sleep.) Let's pray for me to feel pretty good this week like I did on the last round! :)
Now I want to tell you all about my amazing weekend! First off, on Friday I had 2 things to attend. I went to a surprise 50th birthday party that was so much fun! I saw a lot of people I haven't seen in a while since I've been out of work. (And guess what...I didn't wear my wig! I'm totally over the wig and I don't think I've put in on in about 5 days or so! So, the new me is with a scarf or bandanna covering my bald head- which I might add does get pretty chilled in the weather we've had lately!) Anyways, after I left the party, I went to our Supper Club. When I got there, I noticed all 7 of the men had shaved their head in honor of me! They had set up a barber shop- with none other but "Barber Brad"- the one who shaved mine- and there was hair all over the floor. What good sports we had! Check out the pictures I attached.

Supper Club men went "bald" in my support!

So did my brother, Daryl! (before)



(after)

And for the most amazing thing through my breast cancer journey was the event on Saturday night. My step-sister Rebekah, and my step-brother Adam and my parents had planned this benefit BBQ to help us out. It was initially supposed to be a surprise, but with Facebook, I found out- and I'm so glad I did because those of you that know me well, know that I'm not one to be the center of attention or like surprises! But anyways, they all worked themselves so hard to get ready for this event. They had invitations mailed and passed out and Rebekah had almost 50 items donated for the Silent Auction- and big things, too! We held a raffle and had a BBQ kick-off between Adam and my dad. And there was an amazing DJ that donated his time for this event, too! The food was amazing, but what blew my mind was all of the support that came! We estimated about 175 people came that night! I was in awe! Everything was through donations and this is where God is really good- we raised $4, 111 that night and more is still coming in! I was blown away from the support of my friends, family, and even strangers that brought money or sent it through someone. God is good all the time! It was hard to get around to talk to everyone, but I am so thankful for all of you- even from supporters that couldn't come. I love you all and thank you tremendously for your support through this journey! Please continue praying for my whole family, and for others who are suffering during this holiday season.

Olivia, Mallory Kate, and Claire swinging in the cold!

4 comments:

Paige O'Shields said...

Lori,

Isn't it amazing to know you are loved so much. I really enjoyed reading your update tonite. Good things do come from cancer, beleive it or not. So many people never have the chance to see how much people will do for them when they need it most. So congrats on making it 1/2 way through, and for having such a WONDERFUL support team. Keep it up not much longer.!
Love, Paige

Amanda said...

Wow...just seeing this post brings tears to my eyes. What an outpouring of love and support for you. Lori, you continue to amaze me with your courageous stance in this battle. We miss seeing your beautiful face at work! Love ya,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great group of guys! That is one of the sweetest things I've seen. Hope your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving and I will be thinking of/praying for a peaceful next treatment. I have been through the menopause thing twice already (at 31!)when I had my endometriosis, so I can be your support team through that:-)
Have a great weekend and enjoy the Holiday lights starting to pop up everywhere at rapid speed!
-Lindsey

David Parker said...

I am so glad that you are half way through! Yippeee!!! I have said this before, and will continue to say it. You are the strongest woman I know. You are in it to win it!!! I know that I, as well as many others out there, are encouraged by your strength. Please please let me know if you need anything!!